Registration is now open. For all details, please visit our website.
If you have been thinking about signing up for one of the courses, now is the time. The number of places left for each:
- Figure Drawing Thursday Evening: 4 places
- Portrait Painting Saturday Morning: 4 places
- Figure Painting Saturday Afternoon : 1 place
For more information, please visit our Courses page.
I hope to see you in studio.
In the Spring of 2014, the focus of Saturday morning’s portrait painting class was a series of three portraits with the model Andreina Mehtab. Each began with a study of a sphere using multiple layers of paint over a varying ground color—one the natural color of the canvas, one an Earth orange mixed from Venetian Red and Terra Gialla and the last a darker ground—a process that was then repeated for each portrait.
Two truisms emerged:
- Sometimes the start is much better than the finish;
- Sometimes the time allotted is not enough time to finish, especially when you’re struggling to surpass what was a great start.
The gallery below shows a start and subsequent evolution. There is a simplicity and economy in the start of the portrait that is lost over time. The one benefit to a promising start is that it may inspire you to keep pushing. It did for me, and, at the end of the course, I brought Andreina into my own studio to try and bring the work to a satisfactory conclusion. This too proved to be more of a challenge than I had anticipated… but good to revel in the fight as much as the result.
You can see the final result on my website.
[rssinpage rssfeed=’http://www.facebook.com/feeds/page.php?format=rss20&id= 299603483481636′ rssitems=’5′ rsstitlelength=’200′ rssorder=’dsc’ rsstarget=’_blank’ rsscss=’myclassname’ rssformat=’x: Y’ rssdateformat=’F j Y’]
The Painting and Drawing Art Studio of Rome is always looking for models for the Fall and Spring semesters.
Courses have a maximum of 6 students + the instructor; the environment is respectful and courteous.
The pay is €15 per hour for life drawing (nude modeling) and €7,50 per hour for portrait modeling.
- Renaissance Retreat Highlights from October 2019 November 17, 2019
- The Fundamentals – A Gallery of Student Work September 18, 2019
- Video Time Lapse of Tim’s Six-Session Warm-over-Cool Process during the Renaissance Retreat, May 26th to June 2nd, 2019 July 11, 2019
- Testimonial: Fay from Greece July 9, 2019