Course Update, October 10, 2011
This course is now full.
What makes a Rembrandt a Rembrandt? How much is it the”what”? And how much is it the “how”?
Join me on an expedition of technical analysis and philosophical inquiry into what makes a Rembrandt portrait such a marvel of light and form. Using Ernst van de Wetering’s book, “Rembrandt: The Painter at Work” as our principle point of reference, we’ll discuss and explore Rembrandt’s palette, medium, materials, subject matter and anecdotes.
Further, in the process of preparing our own attempt at a “Rembrandt-esque” self-portrait, we’ll also develop a copy of one of Rembrandt’s own self-portraits.
- Level: Intermediate, Advanced
- Medium: Oil on Canvas
- Total Number of Hours: 20
- Total Number of Lessons: 10 lessons, 2 hours each
- Dates: To Be Determined… please see below
- Number of Students: max 5
- Language: English and Italian
- Location: Via Cardinale Merry del Val, 18 at La Bottega dell’Artista (Trastevere)
- Cost: €320 + materials*.
The list of materials will be published the week before classes begin and will be available at The Bottega dell’Artista. I would budget between €70 and €120 for materials.
Before taking this course, here’s what you need to know:
- 1. 40% of the cost guarantees your place, the remaining 60% is to be paid the week before the start of the course. The cost is non-refundable. If you should not be able to continue the course after starting, the best solution is to find someone to take your place.
- 2. There are no “make up classes.” If you miss a lesson, you miss a lesson.
To sign up or to ask further information, please fill out the form below or call either of the following numbers: 347.2631033 or 340.5600356.
Note: In order to optimize the size of the courses, please indicate your availability and interest by checking any and all of the following days, times and courses. We will then contact you to better organize the final schedule. Courses will begin the first week of October.